I have an addictive personality. It was in the sixth grade when my trouble really started. My friend and I were at St. Bernard’s church shooting hoops when an acquaintance came over and offered us some weed. That’s when the obsession began.
From that day forward, all my thinking was about drugs and when I was going to get high next. This addiction progressed as I grew older. Then came the drinking.
For years, I was trapped in this miserable lifestyle of addiction. I certainly wasn’t happy living this way, but I just couldn’t stop. This destructive tendency absolutely ruled my life with the result that drugs and alcohol were, in a sense, my gods. I hated them, but I needed them—or so I thought.
But then my wife started talking to me about Jesus. I remember sitting down after dinner and talking with her. We were both searching for something. I told her I believed in Jesus with my head, but I never truly believed in him or committed myself to him in my heart.
We found a church and attended it Sunday morning, and the pastor’s message really got to me. I decided to live for Christ. I now believed with my heart and placed my trust in Jesus alone to rescue me rather than leaning on my own efforts. And rescue me he did. He rescued me from my sins and gave me an inheritance in heaven.
I later got baptized and started reading the Bible. I also started living for the Lord in very practical ways. Most notably, Jesus gave me the strength to put aside my drinking and drug use, and I even stopped smoking.
I can’t describe how good it felt. I was overjoyed that I had been rescued from my slavery to addictive substances and that I now had something so much better to live for. Instead of living for the next high, I now lived for Jesus.
Just like Jesus changed Bob, he can change you too!
Learn more about authentic life change (and experience it for yourself) by visiting our church this Sunday. We meet at 10:30am at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School (1524 Hamilton Road in Bethel Park, PA – click here for directions). We'd love to have you to join us!
Here's what you can expect when you attend:
To review, here are some highlights of what you can expect:
1) A powerful message from the Bible that speaks to you wherever you are (by the way, you can check out previous messages here)
2) Incredibly friendly, loving people who really care about you, even if they’ve never met you before
3) Your kids to be taken care of and learn about Jesus in a safe, clean, and fun environment
4) Everything to be designed with newcomers in mind, so that every part of the worship service makes sense to you even if you’ve never been to church before
Again, we meet at 10:30am at 1524 Hamilton Road.
Plan your visit today!
The best way to prepare for attending is by filling out this short form to plan your visit. While this is not a required step, here’s why it’s a good idea:
1. It allows you to pre-register children without feeling stressed or pressed for time.
2. We'll assign you a personal host for Sunday. This host will be available to help you drop off children in the children’s ministry, show you around the church, and answer any questions you may have.
3. We’ll have a gift bag prepared just for you.